I count myself privileged to have attended a university with a difference. I say privileged because not everyone gets to set foot in an institution of higher learning due to one reason or the other.
I thank God that I did not only set foot in an institution of higher learning, but one that has servant leadership as one of its core values. So what exactly is servant leadership?
This is well demonstrated in John 13:1-20. Just before the Passover feast, Jesus washed the feet of His disciples. He washed the feet of all the twelve of them despite the fact that He knew Judas Iscariot was going to betray Him, He went ahead and washed their feet and even wiped them with a towel.
In John 13:14-17, the New International Version, Jesus tells His disciples: “you call me teacher and Lord, and rightly so far that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth; no servant is greater than his master, nor a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”
This reminds us that in the eyes of God, all of us are equal. We should therefore treat others with respect. We should wash the feet of the lovely and the unlovely, the friendly and the not so friendly. Jesus washed the feet of Mathew and Peter (His faithful disciples), of John (the one he loved most) and of Judas Iscariot (his betrayer whose name will forever stand for betrayal and death).
Most people (including me) usually just want to lead. A C.E.O would want to lead his company, a principle his or her school, a father his family and a coach his team. Servant leadership is making sure that other people’s highest priorities are being served. It is basically leading by example. If you want your employees to do something, do it yourself and you will be surprised that they will follow.
We should focus n serving others just like Jesus did instead of being served. That way, we will not rub shoulders with each other but be at peace with everyone around us. Once you do that, others will follow and in the end we will all be servant leaders.
After washing their feet, Jesus told the disciples to wash one another’s feet.
You want to be a leader? Then be a servant leader.
Luke 22:26, “But you are not to be like that, instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest and the one who rules like the one who serves.”
“The best way to see divine light is to put out thy own candle.” Thomas Fuller.
No comments:
Post a Comment