Tuesday, 26 July 2011

The other side of me.


I count myself privileged for having been raised in the village in my young years. I say privileged because with my grandmother being the one who raised me, I was able to learn my mother tongue and the values of my tribe. I love my grandmother very much. She took care of me when I was a very young girl and I have grown up truly cherishing her and loving her unconditionally. Sadly, today’s topic is not about my grandmother, but as always, that is a topic for another day.
Growing up, I learnt all the values that I needed to. Church life is compulsory for me. That comes with praying daily and reading the Bible. Talk of a good dress code, good language to use when addressing people and simply etiquette. I grew up in this small world but that was not to last. Before I was ten, I was exposed to the town life. I must confess this was a totally different life from that one that I was accustomed to. People spoke to each other in a manner that they felt like without minding hurting the other’s feelings, dressed provocatively and church was not really a must (and it still is for some).
Upon reaching my teenage, I was grateful to my grandmother for instilling the values in me. Call it outdated but I stuck to my principles. People learnt to respect me for that. Nowadays in my twenties, when my friends and I go out (this happens rarely) and all they want to do is get themselves drunk in alcohol, I will not be forced to do the same but a soda will do. I do not do things simply because others are doing it.
This has helped me a great deal. Am glad for my friends respect my decisions. If I tell them I do not drink, of course 1001 questions, why? And the answer is simple!!! Yea, u guessed it right.
This has helped me to date. When I joined campus, I asked for God’s spirit of discernment. I was not lured into peer pressure but I chose my friends wisely. I have stuck to them to date. God is not mean. He can never give you what you do not deserve but He always gives you that which suits you. As the saying goes, birds of a feather flock together. Show me your friends and I will tell you who you are.
It is a high time everyone took responsibility for his or her actions. We are accountable for our actions. They become character and eventually character becomes our destiny. So choose today which direction you want to move to. Would you rather drink alcohol, have numerous sexual partners, engage in pre-marital sex, and get involved in drugs just because everyone else around you is doing it? Would you do stuff so as to please your “friends” and later ruin your character and destination? All these things have consequences. Liver cirrhosis in the case of alcoholism, S.T.Ds and eventually even death.
Live a life that is pleasing unto the Lord. He has promised us eternal life in heaven if only we live according to his ways. It may not be easy but if we pray for His guidance, He sure will lead us into life everlasting.
Choose today how you want to live your life, if you still have not i.e.

No comments:

Post a Comment